Sunday, July 14, 2013

Shake it up BABY Now, Shake it up Baby. . .

One of my biggest fears of bariatric surgery has been all this protein shake talk. I mean, I like a shake, of the Sonic variety, but I don't want to be drinking protein shakes as meals forever. I went to a support group and noticed about 1/3 of the people there were sipping protein shakes like they were martinis at a cocktail party. Not my idea of dinner or a party. I just want to be. . . ya know, NORMAL.

But then I got to thinking, protein shake or an entire large pizza? Which would normal people consider more normal? Protein shake or all you can eat Chinese buffet? Protein shake or $12 in tacos from Taco Hell? THAT's A LOT of tacos! See, I had been telling myself I wanted to eat "real" or "clean" food, and thus, protein shakes were not for me. Wayyyyy too processed. Ya know, like my Diet Coke is all natural. @@

So I decided to give it a go. I looked around online and actually found a site with all kinds of yummy protein shake recipes. I made a list, ran to the grocery and picked up my first powdered protein. I brought home a giant container of vanilla whey protein, thinking I was set for life. But here's the catch, they only fill them up half way!

Anyway, I made a couple of different shakes over the last couple of days, and they were actually GOOD. Like, yummy. Like, not quite from Sonic, but if there was a generic Sonic shake, maybe these could be one of them!

Here is my favorite one so far:

1/2 cup fat-free cottage cheese (sounds gross in a shake, but it isn't!)
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1 tbs. fat-free cheesecake pudding mix
1 packet splenda
1/2 cup water
10 ice cubes or a few more
1/2 cup blue berries

This made a huge shake. Which makes me wonder, when drinking a shake after Lapband surgery, how many ounces can it be? This was probably close to 16, had less than 300 calories and a good 35-40 grams of protein. Plus blueberries, which are filled with antioxidants, and not too sweet if you worry about blood sugar.

Here is the website where I learned of this fabulousness: http://dashingdish.com/

So, that's one fear of bariatric surgery gone. I like protein shakes!

Tell me, what's your favorite shake recipe?

1 comment:

  1. I'm totally boring...plain old chocolate powder, almond milk, and blueberries is my post-workout daily protein drink....super yummy to me. I usually drink 8 oz and am done...because they don't want you to drink your food...it makes you hungrier faster.

    I'm going to my first support group in August. Now I'm nervous about what protein drink I should take! ;)

    ReplyDelete