Thursday, March 20, 2014

Personless

“A mother is she who can take the place of all others but
whose place no one else can take.”

― Cardinal Mermillod


I remember the first shower I took after my mother died. Turning the faucet, adjusting the temperature, stripping down and hopping in. It was surreal. I had never once in my life bathed without having a mother. She'd been alive my whole life. I know, makes perfect sense, but I couldn't wrap my brain around it. How can I do anything, when everything I ever did, she was alive. It was like the world had stopped spinning for me. Everything was a brand new experience, and not brand new and shiny, but brand new and scary. For thirty-eight years, everything I did, I did having a mother. I had never ever, not one single time, done anything without having her. While she may not have actually been there, or been in the forefront of my mind, she was always there. I always knew she was there, someone to fall back on, to love me unconditionally. Something as simple as bathing, as breathing, seems so much harder, so different, when you don't have that someone. And now, for the rest of my life, every single thing I will do, I will do not having a mother. Seems so simple, but trust me, it is not.


I will rock my child to sleep without a mother. I will have arguments with my husband, without a mother. I will wash dishes, walk dogs, write letters, drink wine, go dancing, eat good foods, bathe in the sun, swim in the ocean, build sandcastles, sing songs and live the rest of my days without a mother. I will never get to ask her a question, hear her opinion, or receive her guidance on anything that ever happens to me again. I'm on my own. Every breath I take, I will take motherless. She who gave me life, brought me into this world and nurtured me, is gone. Forever.

Yet, it is natural, it is ordinary, it is normal. It is in no way unique or extraordinary. Millions upon millions of women, all of them daughters, are doing the exact same thing. They are living without a mother. One day, my daughter will too.

How can something so ordinary be so mothereffinexcrutiatinglypainfulthatitmakesyouwanttojustquititall?

I'll tell you how. Because she wasn't "just" my mom. She was a million times more than that. She was my mom and she was my person. IN fact, due to her declining health and our role reversal, she was more my person than anything. And not everyone loses her person to sudden death. And not everyone loses her person and her mother at the exact same time. It's the double whammy. In losing her, I lost both, I lost almost everything. I am clinging to what I have left and trying to keep sane. It's not easy, but I am making progress.


She, my mother, my person, is the one I called for every little thing often five times a day. She is the one I ran to when the mailman was grouchy and made me cry, or when I felt insecure about a new haircut. She would listen and discuss my hesitation about public school over and over again, never tiring of the conversation, never wishing I would just shut up and make a decision. She was proud of me, in ways that no one else ever is. She admired my creativity, my writing, my generosity with others. She validated me, my thoughts, my feelings. She loved to hear the same stories about my girl over and over again, wanted to know exactly what we were doing each and every day. She loved to look at my designs over and over again. She never tired of them. Every sale in my Etsy shop was an EVENT to her, and she wanted the full details. Any complaint made by another was just ridiculous in her opinion. I was her golden girl I guess you could say. I was loved so hard and I loved her so hard back. This woman would spend hours with me, searching bolt after bolt of fabric just to find the perfect scrap of pink. She is the one who felt my anguish when I had to bust out the seam ripper AGAIN. She laughed at my jokes and I at hers. Nobody could make me belly laugh like this woman. The inside jokes were in the millions. Jason thought we were crazy. We probably were, in the best possible way. We moved, she moved with us. Not just once, but three times. I wouldn't dare go anywhere without her. Jason knew, it was a package deal. She was such a huge part of my life, she was at least half of it, and had tons of influence on the other half. She was my mom and my person and she was mine.

And then she died. She died and I didn't want her to. She died on a day that I had no idea it was going to happen. She died unexpectedly without saying goodbye. She died on an ordinary day where I was just sitting around doing absolutely nothing important. She just died. And she took my mother with her.

I will never, not ever, find another person like her. She was my mama and she was mine.




2 comments:

  1. When I read your blogs about your mother, my heart breaks for you every time. I start to imagine what I would feel if I were you, and it hurts to even think about the day I will be motherless. And personless. I wish there were words to take your grief, but I know there are not. Sending you my hugs <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara, it is obvious you loved your mother very much, and grief has no time limit.The reason you hurt so deeply Tara is because you loved her so deeply. It is proportional. It is also interesting that you would devote this post today entirely to your feelings about your mother and her loss in your life; the reason being, all day today I have thought about my mother who passed away almost 4 years ago at the age of 88. I was her only child, and much like you, she became my world after my father's death when I was 5. I think things would be easier if I had siblings who shared the meaning of her loss together, but there are none. All day today my heart has ached for my mother and the empty places she left in my life. This day was especially hard. Just because Mother was old and her death was more 'expected' does not erase the pain of her loss nor the void left. Perhaps I felt it more strongly today becasue I visited the mother of a dear friend who broke her hip and is now in a rehab center. I don't know that the ache will ever go away entirely. I will feel her loss every day for the rest of my life. I still long to pick up the phone and call her to share things with her that only she could understand. But I remind myself that "we do not grieve as those who have no hope." I know Mother is with the Lord and she will be there to greet me on the other side when my earlthy days are done. So on days such as this, I go to the God of all comfort asking Him to comfort my heart. I thank Him that He gave me such a mother, as many have not had such a privilege. And I ask Him to strengthen me to be that kind of mother to my 4 grown children, to be a safe place that they can go and find encouragement and a listening ear. I don't know that we are ever fully ready to release our mothers, because the bond is like no other. I wonder if Mother felt this way when her mother passed away, and the mantle of matriarch was passed to her? I do not know. But the good news is on days such as we had today, the God of all comfort is there for us. He will give us grace and strength to deal with all of life's tomorrows, one day at a time. Love and prayers dear Tara. Although I did not know your mother, I know without a doubt that she would be so very proud of you <3

    ReplyDelete