Sunday, November 10, 2013

Grief and Aging

In response to a picture I posted, someone mentioned that I look much older now than I did say a year ago. They weren't being mean, we were discussing age and appearance and so she shared this thought with me. She wondered if it was my grief adding lines to my face. I don't know. But it made me think.

I stopped looking in the mirror months ago. My face just stopped mattering. I realized today that I brush my teeth, wash my face, and run a brush through my hair, without ever looking at myself. The mirror above the sink is gone, and has been replaced by nothingness.


I do this with my body too. I get dressed. I get undressed. I shower and rub soap on my self. I do all this, without really seeing myself. Without much thought of what I look like.



But it is more than that. It is more than not looking at myself. It is an almost blatant disregard for myself. I've forgotten I'm here. Or I know I am here, and I just don't care. Or I know I'm here, and I wish I that I wasn't.

I'm ignoring me. And I'm abusing me. And I'm killing me. And I can't think of one good for ME thing I've done in a really long time.

I keep trying. I keep saying I'm getting better. Maybe I am.

But I'm not. I'm just avoiding the problem.

Me.

My grief, my sadness, my depression. My fuckinglifethatisnotwhatiwantittobeanymore.

All the lipstick and haircuts and weight loss in the world aren't going to change a thing.

2 comments:

  1. The first step to confronting and overcoming your issues is to admit them to yourself. It seems that you are in a place that you realize the grief is really hurting you. You're admitting that ignoring what's happening is only further harming yourself. Please find a way to take care of yourself.

    I finally admitted I am not in a good place (although different than yours) and went to my first Therapy session Wednesday and started an anti-depressant Thursday.

    Please take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hollee. I am working on it. I am in therapy and do take medication. I flip day to day. One day getting better, next, feeling bad. My therapist and I identified a possible trigger for this downward slump is that I have been going over to my mom's house.
      Hope you continue to feel better!

      Delete